So a couple months have gone by since I first brought my SV650s home from crashedtoys in November. First thing was to do a bunch of reading and researching to figure out how I wanted to start this build. I have to say it has been very helpful having a fellow motorcycle fabricator/racer to consult with. Chad and I have mulled over, and at times gotten into arguments over all kinds of issues with this build. Each one of us having an opinion and ultimately coming to a solution.
Second, I took this bad ass twin out for a quick cruise to make sure everything worked before I started disassembly. I needed to know everything worked so I wouldn’t be fighting problems later. I took it over to Mcvay Custom Motorcycles and had them put it on the dyno so I would have a baseline comparison when I was all done with the aftermarket mods. Chad brought over a couple bathroom scales and we put the SV on them to get a baseline weight also. It weighed in at 412 lbs.
I searched around and found a factory repair manual and a Haynes manual and purchased them. The factory manual will have all your parts break downs, part numbers and torque specs, the Haynes manual had a color wiring schematic that has proven helpful while going through the wiring harness. At first I thought why spend the $60 or so bucks? Believe me, they are definitely worth it if you’re doing this yourself.
Now that I have read up a bit I decided to start disassembly. I went to Menards and got a big plastic storage tote to put all the parts in while disassembling the bike and put the nuts and bolts in a smaller container. I’m keeping all the stock parts until the bike is finished. I have gone back and pulled parts out for reference while we were going through the wiring harness. Pictures were taken to help with reassembly when that time comes. While the first 3 exhaust bolts came out easily the last one snapped off flush with the aluminum head. What now? I started by welding a washer to the exposed part of the stud. I then welded a nut to the washer. I let it cool completely and then gave it a few turns. It came out another 2 threads and snapped off again. I did this 2 more times with no luck. I then decided to drill it and use an easy-out. This didn’t budge the stubborn stud. I drilled it out to the exact size of the threads and was able to get the remaining stud material out with a pick. I chased the threads with a tap and the worst was over. After that I decided to go the hardware store and get some stainless bolts and made them into studs to put in permanently. That will eliminate this problem in the future. It was way easier to do this with the motor out of the bike.
I pulled off the P.A.I.R valve (pulsed air intake reed) and the related hoses. This mixes filtered air into the exhaust to burn raw fuel that wasn’t burned on the combustion chamber. Removing this not only drops weight but eliminates the popping and backfiring that results when an aftermarket exhaust is installed. I made some aluminum plates to block off the port on the top of the valve cover. A resistor will need to be soldered in later to trick the ecu into thinking this is still working properly.
I ordered manual cam chain tensioners and discovered that I had gotten the wrong ones. There is a slight difference in the them from year to year. I sent them back and just used the stock ones. After reading up on them the oem ones are good enough for an unmodified motor.
I’m happy with the progress I’ve been making but a lot of work still needs to be done. Keep checking in to see what’s going on.